Thursday, September 18, 2008

Night of Firsts

It's a night of firsts:

  • First time I saw a man riding a giant unicycle on the trail. I'm not kidding!
  • First time I let Sage go to the store with her friends without parental supervision. I wish I was kidding!
While I was out having a rather crappy jog, Sage called me on my cell phone. My cell phone was tightly esconced in the secret pocket of running bra at the middle of my back. I had to contort myself to reach it. By the time, I got it, she hung up. I stupidly put the phone back in the secret pocket.....And...then she called again. After listening to her sound off all the reasons why I should let her go to the store with her 11-year-old friends (she's only 9 ), I finally gave in. I told her this is a TEST. Was this against my better judgement? Well, I'll be able to tell in about 15 minutes.

But I don't think I made a mistake. My parents let me go to the Lawton's Drug Store on the Bedford Highway in Halifax when I was much younger than Sage. Heck, my grandmother even sent me to buy her "smokes". So I went to the store all by myself with $1.75 and the flap from grandmothers Peter Jackson's. Nothing bad ever happened to me. At least none that I can remember.

Oh, earlier I said I had a 'crappy' run. Just so you don't think I'm a curmudgeon, I'll explain. Parker, my black lab, is my regular running partner. Tonight, he was more 'regular' than ever. I had to stop to let him poo a few times. Thank goodness for the doggy doo doo bag dispenser on the trail. Needless to say, my average speed was much lower than normal. It was 7.8 km per hour....typically I'm 10km per hour. I walk at 6.5. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. I'll just leave poopy Parker at home.

No comments: